Our Firm is AV Rated


 

av-rated

Firm History
 

Henry London Anderson was the founding partner of Anderson, Johnson, Lawrence & Butler, L.L.P. Mr. Anderson was a native of Fayetteville, North Carolina, and received both his A.B. and L.L.B. degrees from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.  Mr. Anderson was a member of the North Carolina Law Review and was also magister of the International Legal Fraternity of Phi Delta Phi (Vance Inn).  Mr. Anderson was admitted to practice law in the state of North Carolina in 1933 after successfully passing the very last examination actually administered by the North Carolina Supreme Court.  He practiced briefly with his brother and fellow attorney, John Huske Anderson, in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, before being retained as general attorney for North Carolina Theaters, Inc.  Mr. Anderson was of the many who believed that the United States’ involvement in World War II was inevitable, and accordingly he enlisted in the United States Naval Reserve six months prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor and proudly served his country as a commander in naval intelligence.  Mr. Anderson then returned to Fayetteville in 1945 and opened a general practice office in the old Sandrock Building on Hay Street.  He quickly earned an excellent reputation as he won a case representing a defendant in Superior Court within the first week of establishing his practice in Fayetteville.  Within a short time, Mr. Anderson was joined in his practice by Attorney Stephen H. Nimocks, and the firm became known as Anderson & Nimocks. Mr. Anderson would go on to twice serve as the vice-president (1947 & 1958) and once as president (1963-1964) of the North Carolina Bar Association.

Hal W. Broadfoot, Sr. joined the firm in 1955 after receiving his L.L.B. from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1953, and serving his country in the United States Army as a judge advocate general for two years. While at the UNC School of Law, Mr. Broadfoot was a member of the Phi Delta Phi legal fraternity, and was a member of the Board of Editors of the North Carolina Law Review (1951-1953). Mr. Broadfoot quickly earned the respect of his fellow attorneys and clients alike.  The law firm of Anderson, Nimocks & Broadfoot became one of the most respected firms in the region.

The firm was then joined by Mr. Anderson’s eldest son Henry “Andy” London Anderson, Jr. in 1968 after he received both his B.A. and  J.D. from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.  Lee Best Johnson, a native of Dunn, North Carolina, joined the firm in 1974 after receiving his B.A. from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and his J.D. from the Cumberland School of Law of Samford University. The firm then welcomed in Mr. Anderson’s youngest son, John Huske Anderson, II, in 1975 after he received his J.D. from Wake Forest University. While there he was a member of the Wake Forest Law Review. Prior to studying law, Mr. John Anderson received his B.S. from North Carolina State University, and was an engineer for the Lockheed Georgia Company.

Steven C. Lawrence joined the firm in 1984 after receiving his J.D. from the Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law of Campbell University and his B.A. from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. While at Campbell Mr. Lawrence served on the Moot Court Board. J. Stewart Butler, III joined the firm in 1985 after receiving his J.D. from North Carolina Central University. Mr. Butler is also a graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (B.A, 1979).

Although Mr. Anderson founded the firm as a general practice, through the years the firm has focused its representation on civil litigation, particularly insurance defense.  The firm maintains an “AV” rating from Martindale-Hubbell and seeks to carry on the legacy of Mr. Anderson by providing experienced and aggressive representation of its clients.